|The Sinclair Refinery is located in south central Wyoming in the town of Sinclair, near Rawlins and the Continental Divide at about 6,700 feet in elevation. It was started in 1923 by Parco. Sinclair Oil operated the refinery from 1934 to 1969; ARCO and then Pasco operated the refinery between 1969 and 1976. In 1976, it was acquired along with the rights to the Sinclair Oil name.
The Sinclair Refinery is one of the largest high conversion refineries in the Rocky Mountain region, with multiple projects recently installed to allow it to process a diverse crude slate, including heavy sour Canadian crude and indigenous Utah Waxy crude. The plant is now processing crude at a rate in excess of 80,000 barrels per day, a significant increase over the refinery’s daily average output. This new milestone marks the culmination of a series of ambitious projects encompassing expansions of a crude unit and hydrocracker and the addition of a coker and new sulfur plants. Additionally, equipment has been installed to improve operational stability and safeguards, and to reduce environmental emissions.
The completion of all Sinclair Refinery expansion and repair projects coincides with the inauguration of the UNEV pipeline. Sinclair participated in the construction of this new pipeline to enable the transport of gasoline and diesel from Salt Lake City to the terminals in Cedar City and Las Vegas, Nevada.
In 2005, the refinery received the Gold Award for Achievement in Safety from the National Petrochemical and Refiners Association.